Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Snow removal insufficient for people in wheelchairs

With winter snows upon us, I need to express grievances about snow removal practices. I speak for all people in wheelchairs who still need to get around. First, if the city plows the streets, they should also plow the sidewalks. Snow plowed from the street onto the sidewalk makes it impossible for us to get through.Secondly, sidewalks should be shoveled all the way to the end and curb cuts cleared out. Many places the sidewalks are cleared, shoveled into the curb cut, leaving a big pile, impossible for us to cross.Here's an example of what we face: Today I was going to work, taking the cleared path through Lillis Park. I was fortunate that the snow was still fresh so I could cross the bridge over the irrigation ditch, where the city stops plowing without clearing it off. I traversed the four blocks through the park with no problem until I hit the 24th Street side.

Read More

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi I am charlie and I solved your problem check it out youtube snowplowing wheelchair!